23 July 2012

The Beginning Pt. 1

I guess I should introduce myself and start from the beginning... 

I am 21 years old and I have just finished my degree in Biology at UWE (this is a slight lie, I have two resits to do before I technically finish but who's counting?). I didn't know what on earth I was going to do with this degree, but I loved the subject so that's what I went with. After three years I can safely say I would rather be homeless than work as a scientist - it really isn't for me and I struggled monumentally in my final year. I will forever hold a special place in my heart for the subject though (awww!).

On a side note, it does seem that the majority of people are urged to go to university whether they really need to or not. They pick a random subject and probably end up hating it, as I have done. It is an enormous amount of money to spend on something that won't really get used. Although I now have a nice, shiny BSc (Hons) it won't help me become a Paramedic in the slightest as I will need to obtain another degree!

I have never really known outright what I wanted to do when I 'grew up' but I guess I have always been inclined towards health care. It was about a year and a half ago when the traumatic realisation that it wouldn't be long before I was ejected into the real world hit me, so I decided it was time to choose a tree to climb, so to speak. You may think "Oh, he picked Paramedic out of a hat!" but alas, it took a long time for me to come to the decision that I simply HAD to become a Paramedic. I can't really say what it is that made me come to this conclusion, it just seems right. This is what I will be happy doing - helping people, saving lives and of course, driving on blue lights (all for very little money may I add). All joking aside, I really admire the people that spend long hours answering emergency calls 24/7, 365 days of the year with a huge amount of knowledge and skill for very little recognition. I want to be one of these people and I am willing to give my ALL towards this.

Okay, looking back at what I've written maybe starting this post with "I guess I should introduce myself and start from the beginning..." probably doesn't fit. It implies I have a huge story to tell, and actually I bet this fits onto one side of A4 (along with another recent endeavour of mine to encourage some enthusiasm on my part - a list of life achievements. I guess it's safe to say it didn't do much to stir the soul). BUT what I will say is that it symbolises the beginning of this blog and my journey to fully qualified paramedic status and I hope you will join me to cheer at my achievements and kick me into gear after my downfalls. Have you got 50 years to spare?

To be continued... (click me!)

 

5 comments:

  1. Phillip, I'm with you all the way son. I know the journey may be hard but I believe that as long as your hearts really in it, the final destination will be worth while

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are officially linked on my blog :-) By the way very good first post Mr Llewellyn your a very good write :-D xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blog, and a very worthy career you have chosen I wish you good luck.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your support! :)

      Delete
  4. I think you should feel very positive - it's a great thing to have worked out what you want to do with your life. Some people may take a lifetime to do this. Now you are just stepping out on your 'journey'. Enjoy the trip!

    ReplyDelete