25 October 2012

Moments with a Purpose, or Just Coincidences?

This doesn't have a purpose, other than to help both you and I pass a little time. But then, does anything really have a purpose?

I thought I'd write about a little misadventure I had on Monday which I expect may give one or two of you a wee chuckle. Although on the surface it's quite a humorous story about how cruel Karma can be, it resonates a little deeper with myself.

After managing to lock someone in the house for an hour (yes, apparently it does happen) I decided to go for a run and I was only gone twenty minutes, tops. To my dismay, the house was locked upon my return with no signs of life from within. I even attempted the rather cliché stone throw at one of the windows (which quickly backfired as I watched it, realising it had to return to earth via either my face or my car). I spent half an hour in hope that somebody was still inside, banging on the door and letterbox. I decided to give up around the time my grumpy neighbour came outside and glared at me on his way to the local shop.

So, it slowly dawned on me that I would have to wait this one out until somebody came home, probably about five hours later at 6.30pm. What on earth does someone do in the middle of October without money or a phone? Probably not this, anyway...

Still wearing only shorts and T-shirt (with rather shaggy looking hair and muddy trainers) I decided to hide in the woods. I successfully tramped around for an hour or so, playing on steep hills near the stream and climbing trees - yes, okay, I was pretending to be Bear Grylls. As fun as this was, I needed something with more of a purpose to occupy myself for the remaining four hours. I decided to walk to Clifton Suspension Bridge (what an idiot).

I managed to make it through town, across the fields on the downs and up the hill to the bridge without too much drama, although I did get pooed on by a bird just before flying down a slippery hill. There really wasn't anything of interest to see around here considering the dense fog and cold air surrounding me, but I sat around for an hour anyway. There was a worrying moment where a lone man kept looking over the edge of the bridge and I kept hoping that if someone were to jump, they wouldn't do it while I was there*.

For those of you that run, or have even been once, know how much your legs ache for days after unless you go regularly. Well, after a 2 mile run and 4 mile walk in the cold, mine had just about dropped off. Walking the 4 miles home was pure agony and I had to dig deep to keep going (I really was tempted to lay in a field and hope someone called me an Ambulance). My shoes and socks were soaked through from cutting across fields and my hands were numb by now. I arrived home at about 6pm and someone was in. I was SO relieved (until I found out they had been in since 4.30pm!).

Anyway, the moral of the story: keys unlock doors, take them with you when you go out!

On this occasion my experience had a purpose; it really did show me that I can persevere and keep going even when things are tough and I'm running on empty. This is an important lesson and I am more determined than ever to get fit and keep pushing as hard as I can with everything in my life, including becoming a Paramedic.

Phil

*The man left after a few minutes, probably just admiring the view (or lack-of thanks to the wall fog wall about a meter from his face).

No comments:

Post a Comment